SAINT LEO, Fla. – The No. 12 University of Tampa men's lacrosse team completes an undefeated conference regular season with victory over the Saint Leo University Lions.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa Spartans 15, Saint Leo Lions 11
Records: Tampa (12-4, 5-0 SSC), Saint Leo (9-5, 1-4 SSC)
Location: Saint Leo Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series 6-1.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Saint Leo took a two-goal lead to start the game.
- At 7:39, Andrew Kew started the firing squad for Tampa, assisted by Sean Herdman.
- Two minutes later, Gavin Perry had his first goal of the season.
- Conor Whipple had his first goal of the game with 3:02 left in the period, Tampa now leading 3-2.
- The Lions tied the game to 3-3 12:25.
- One minute later, Tampa took the lead again with a goal from Andrew Kew, assisted by Jake Schmidt.
- Herdman tacks on another goal for Tampa.
- At 9:15, Saint Leo brings the game to 5-4.
- With Kew's third goal of the game, he breaks the NCAA DII record for goals in one season with now 73.
- The Lions answer with a goal, still trailing 6-5.
- Chris Vetter takes an unassisted goal at 5:08.
- About 30 seconds later, Jake Mosher McGraw tacks on another one for Tampa.
- Another Saint Leo goal with two minutes left in the period.
- Herdman had his second goal of the game with 1:14 left in the period.
- Saint Leo sneaks past the Spartans defense with :34 on the clock, Tampa leading 9-7 going into half-time.
- C. Vetter had his second goal of the game to open the period.
- Mosher McGraw takes advantage of a man-up situation to bring Tampa's lead to 11-7.
- Schmidt had back-to-back goals, one assisted by Herdman.
- Kew teamed up with Whipple at 3:33.
- After five Spartan goals, the Lions responded with a goal, Tampa leading 14-8.
- Mosher McGraw has the first Tampa goal of the period at 13:18.
- Saint Leo had three goals in a row to bring the score diminish Tampa's lead to 15-11.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Kew led all Spartans in goals with four.
- Whipple had four points with one goal and three assists.
- Mosher McGraw tallied three goals.
- Sam Watts went 13-for-22 on face-off wins while Alex Patton went 5-for-6.
- C.Vetter, Schmidt, and Herdman each tallied two goals.
- A.J. Arnold had ten saves in net.
Tampa will host the Sunshine State Conference Championship Tournament starting April 28th. The first match-ups are slated to start at 4pm at Naimoli Field in Tampa, Fla. Fans may follow via live stats at TampaStats.com or watch at TampaSpartans.tv.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.