HICKORY, N.C. – The No. 9 University of Tampa upsets No. 7 Lenoir-Rhyne University to advance to NCAA semi-finals.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa Spartans 11, Lenoir-Rhyne Bears 8
Records: Tampa (15-4), Lenoir-Rhyne (12-3)
Location: Mortez Field l Hickory, N.C.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series 3-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The first goal of the game came from the Bears.
- Sam Watts won the face-off after the goal to give Mike O'Connor the ball to tie the game.
- Less than a minute later Lenoir-Rhyne took a 2-1 lead.
- At 8:46 Bryan Wright tied the game.
- Two minutes later LR tied took the lead again.
- A solo goal from Andrew Kew tied the game to 3 each.
- Another Spartan goal by Sean Herdman assisted by Conor Whipple, bringing Tampa to lead for the first time in the match-up.
- A goal at 2:57 by Kew cushions the lead to two goals.
- Matt Vetter with Jake Mosher McGraw scored the final goal of the period with 12 seconds left to give Tampa a 5-3 lead.
- Mosher McGraw had the first goal of the period.
- The Bears answered with two goals to make the score 7-5 with Tampa in the lead before half-time.
- Tampa's Kew had his third goal of the game to bring the Tampa lead to 8-5.
- The Bears answered back to bring their goal tally to 6.
- Lenoir-Rhyne had the first goal of the period.
- Tampa answered back with a goal by Wright, assisted by Whipple.
- But the Bears scored again at 7:06 to bring the score to 9-8.
- Mosher McGraw had his second goal of the game at 5:01.
- Kew scored the final goal of the game at 1:39 to ensure a victory to advance to the NCAA Semi-Final game.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Kew has scored a goal in 33 consecutive games, with four goals today.
- Mosher McGraw had two goals and two assists.
- Whipple led the squad in assists with three.
- Wright scored twice.
- A.J. Arnold had 8 saves in net.
- Herdman and Schmidt had two goals apiece.
- M. Vetter and O'Connor each tallied a goal.
Tampa will travel to Limestone to face-off for the third consecutive time in the NCAA Semi-Finals. The game time is to be announced.