TAMPA, Fla. – The No. 9 Univeristy of Tampa defeats Florida Southern by a score of 13-12.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa Spartans , Florida Southern
Records: Tampa (12-4), Florida Southern (7-7)
Location: Naimoli Field l Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series 9-1.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Florida Southern came hard the first period with three goals in a row.
- The first Spartan goal came from Sean Herdman, assisted by Conor Whipple.
- The Mocs had three more consecutive goals to make it 6-1 over Tampa.
- Jake Schmidt had the second goal for Tampa with an assist from Whipple.
- Mocs responded.
- Andrew Kew had his first goal of the game with 2:10 on the clock, assisted by Whipple.
- Florida Southern tacked on another goal to end the period 8-3 leading Tampa.
- The Mocs opened the period with a goal at 11:17.
- Tampa brings the score to 9-4 with a second goal from Herdman, assisted by Jud Huxtable.
- Kew's second goal of the game came with 2:17 left on the clock, assisted by Whipple.
- The Vetter brothers team up at 1:25 to bring the game within three goals. Goal by Chris Vetter, assist from Matt Vetter.
- Another Kew and Whipple point with less than one second left on the clock had them down by two goals going into half time.
- Mocs open the period with a goal, now leading 10-7.
- Kew had his fourth goal of the game with an assist from Luke Posner at 9:39.
- The Mocs responded less than a minute later.
- Another Kew goal assisted by M. Vetter brings the score within two goals again.
- Bryan Wright had his first goal of the game with 4:19 left on the board, assisted by Andrew Kew.
- Kew tied the game 11-11 with an assist from Whipple to start the period.
- Jake Mosher McGraw had his first goal of the game with an assist from C. Vetter to propel Tampa above Florida Southern 12-11 with six minutes left in the period.
- Whipple had an unassisted goal to give Tampa a two-goal lead.
- Noah Menendez had a game pivoting caused-turnover to give Tampa a breather.
- Florida Southern tacks on a goal with less than 30 seconds left but Tampa held them off to advance to the Sunshine State Conference Tournament finals.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Kew led all Spartans in goals with six.
- Whipple had seven points with six assists and one goal.
- Herdman tallied two goals.
- Noah Menendez went 9-for-16 on face-off wins.
- C.Vetter, Schmidt,Wright and Mosher McGraw each tallied two goals.
- A.J. Arnold had 13 saves in net.
Tampa will play Florida Tech in the Sunshine State Conference Tournament final. The match-up is slated to start at 2pm at Naimoli Field in Tampa, Fla. Fans may follow via live stats at TampaStats.com or watch at TampaSpartans.tv.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.