TAMPA, Fla. – The No. 13 University of Tampa men's lacrosse team seniors led the team to victory over Sunshine State Conference match-up over visiting Florida Tech Panthers. Spartans Clinch Fourth Straight Sunshine Conference Regular Season Championship with the win.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa Spartans 15, Florida Tech Panthers 10
Records: Tampa (11-4, 4-0 SSC), Florida Tech (6-6, 2-2 SSC)
Location: Naimoli Athletic & Intramural Complex | Tampa Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series 7-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Tampa took no time to get on the board, freshman Jake Mosher McGraw with an assist from Conor Whipple.
- At 12:51 Whipple had an unassisted goal to take a 2-0 lead over the Panthers.
- Two minutes later Bryan Wright had an unassisted goal.
- Florida Tech answered back at 8:09 for their first goal of the game.
- Andrew Kew has his first goal of the game with an assist from Whipple.
- An unassisted goal from Whipple brings Tampa's lead to 5-1 over Florida Tech.
- Jake Schmidt forces his way to score with 00:32 left on the clock.
- Sam Watts with an assist from Whipple gives Tampa a 7-1 lead.
- The Panthers had the first goal of the period.
- The Vetter brothers team up with the goal by Chris, assisted by Matt, Tampa leading 8-2.
- Florida Tech answered back at 6:15.
- A goal from M. Vetter had Tampa leading 9-3.
- Another goal from Florida Tech brings their tally to 4.
- Kew had his second goal of the night before half-time with less than a minute left.
- The Spartans fired with a goal from Whipple at 14:14.
- Panthers answered back with two goals, Tampa still leading 11-6.
- Mosher McGraw strikes at 4:42 with an assist from Whipple.
- Tampa penalties led to back-to-back goals from Florida Tech to bring the score to 12-8.
- Kew with an assist from M. Vetter at 11:36 makes it 13-8.
- Mosher McGraw strikes again with an assist Whipple.
- Florida Tech answered back with 4:55 left in the game to bring the score to 14-9.
- M. Vetter had the last goal for Tampa at 3:03.
- Florida Tech had the final goal of the game with 00:19 for a final score of 15-10.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Whipple led all Spartans in points with eight assists and three goals.
- Kew and Mosher McGraw tallied three goals each.
- Sam Watts went 16-for-25 on face-off wins.
- Sean Menenedez went 2-for-3 on face-off wins.
- M. Vetter had two goal and two assists.
- C.Vetter, Schmidt, Wright and Watts each tallied one goal.
- A.J. Arnold had ten saves in net.
Tampa travels to SSC opponent Saint Leo University on Saturday, April 22nd at 1 p.m, in Saint Leo, Fla. Fans may follow via live stats at TampaStats.com or watch at TampaSpartans.tv.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.