LAKELAND, Fla. – The University of Tampa Spartans traveled to Lakeland as they faced off against the Florida Southern College Moccasins. After dropping the first set, the Spartans were able to bounce back for the 3-1 victory. With the victory, UT now sits at 20-6 overall and 13-2 in conference play. FSC drops to 6-19 on the year and 2-13 in SSC play.
HOW IT HAPPENED
In the first set, the two teams started off even as the two teams were tied at seven. The Spartans were able to gain some momentum as they were able to push the lead to 18-12 over the Mocs. FSC was able to go on a run scoring the next six points to tie the game at 18. They would then gain control of the set as they went up 24-20. Tampa would get the game within one at 24-23, before Southern used a kill by Rachael Martin to win the first set 25-23.
The Spartans would bounce back in the second set as they would race out to an early 9-4 lead. Tampa would not allow Florida Southern to come back in the set as they ended up taking the set by a final of 25-17. UT would have a powerful offensive attack as they hit .368 as a team in the set.
The third set started evenly, as the teams were all squared up at six early in the set. UT would then use a 5-0 run to gain control of the set at 11-6. With the Spartans holding a 24-15 lead, the Mocs used their own 5-0 run to make the game 24-20. Following a UT timeout, Kamari Potter ended the set with a kill.
In the fourth and final set of the night, the two teams were again close in the early parts of the set as FSC held a 7-6 lead. UT was able to regain the lead in the set following a run, as they went up 14-8. Florida Southern was unable to close the gap Tampa created as the Spartans won the set 25-16.
INSIDE THE STATS
- Katie McKiel led the offensive charge for Tampa as she picked up 18 kills and she added 13 digs on the night.
- Mackenzie Dufresne recorded her first career double-double as she had 10 kills and picked up a career-high 11 digs.
- Melissa Elias also recorded a double-double as she collected 20 digs and 11 assists.
- Sammy Mueller also collected a double-double as she racked up 34 assists and 12 digs.
- As a team, the Spartans recorded eight service aces.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE
- UT improves their record all-time against FSC to 76-56.
- The Spartans have now won three straight matches against the Mocs.
- Tampa now has a 16-game winning streak.
The Spartans will return to action on Friday as they will face Lynn University on the road in a battle of the top two teams in the conference.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AN EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.TampaSpartans.com.