TAMPA, Fla. – The University of Tampa Spartans welcomed in the Palm Beach Atlantic University Sailfish for a Friday night, Sunshine State Conference battle at the Martinez Center. The Spartans made quick work of the Sailfish as they won in three sets. With the victory, Tampa now improves to 18-6 and 11-2 in the SSC. Palm Beach Atlantic falls to 13-11 and 5-8 in the SSC.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Tampa was the first team on the board as Palm Beach Atlantic started the match with a service error. The Spartans would control the pace of the set, as they would not trail in the set. The Sailfish were able to pull within two points, as the Spartans led 14-12. UT would go and run away with the set, as they won by a final of 25-15. As a team, Tampa recorded 17 kills in the set compared to Palm Beach Atlantic's 11.
With UT holding a 5-3 early in the second set, PBA used a 7-1 run to take a 10-6 lead. The Sailfish would maintain the lead until the Spartans were able to battle back and regain the advantage at 17-16 following a service ace by Tatyana Lyons. Tampa would not surrender the lead back to Palm Beach Atlantic, as they took the set by a final of 25-20.
The Sailfish were the first to score in the third set following an attacking error on the Spartans. After an early 2-0 deficit, the Spartans scored the next four points to hold a 4-2 advantage. The two teams would be tied again at the 10-point mark. UT would then go on another four-point run to take the lead over PBA. The Sailfish were able to get within one point at 20-19 but the Spartans closed out the game on a 5-0 run to win the set 25-19.
INSIDE THE STATS
- Sorrel Houghton led the way for the Spartans as she finished 11 kills.
- Katie McKiel ended the game with nine kills, as she swung at a .471 percentage.
- Melissa Elias picked up another double-double as she recorded 15 assists and 11 digs.
- Nicole Dominguez led the way with 12 digs on the night.
- Sammy Mueller finished the match with a game-high 17 assists.
- As a team, Tampa hit at a .277 percentage, while holding Palm Beach Atlantic to a .082 percentage.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE
- Tampa improves their all-time series record against Palm Beach Atlantic to 12-5.
- UT has now swept the regular-season series over PBA.
- This is the third consecutive victory over the Sailfish for the Spartans.
- UT extends their win streak to 13 games.
UT will return to action on Friday, as they welcome in Nova Southeastern at 7:00 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AN EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com