TAMPA, Fla. – The No. 18 University of Tampa women's lacrosse team defeats the No. 23 McKendree Bearcats by a final score of 17-14.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: University of Tampa 17, McKendree University 14
Records: Tampa (7-2, SSC 1-0), McKendree (1-4)
Location: Naimoli Family Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: The Spartans now lead the Bearcats in the all-time series, 1-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Within the first two minutes, McKendree puts the ball in the back of the net twice on two free possession shots.
- The Bearcats put another earned another goal with 23:16 left in the half on yet another free possession shot, and less than a minute later netted another goal.
- With 22:31 left in the half, the Bearcats led the Spartans 4-0.
- Maggie Gladden gets Tampa started with a goal from Carly Vaccaro with about 21 minutes left in the half.
- McKendree responds to Tampa's goal by netting another one of their own, making the score 5-1 Bearcats.
- Unassisted, Kayla Kosubinsky scores for the Spartans with 18 minutes left in the first half.
- After a long-held possession, Caroline Forester gives Tampa another goal with the assist coming from Allie Popelar.
- With 12:38 left in the half, Claire Swanson nets a goal for the Spartans assisted by Amanda Rom making the game 5-4 with the Bearcats still leading.
- Graeme Eber ties the game with 6:54 left in the half off the assist from Forester.
- McKendree scores less than a minute later to put the Bearcats back on top and then again with 4:06 left in the half, increasing their lead to 7-5.
- Up a man, Rom scores on a free possession shot with 2:54 left in the first half.
- Less than a minute later, Rachel Crawford ties the game on an unassisted goal.
- Popelar puts the Spartans on top with 20 seconds left in the half on a goal assisted by Rom.
- Heading into halftime, the Spartans led the Bearcats 8-7.
- A minute into the second half, Crawford nets her second goal of the game on a free possession shot.
- Kosubinsky adds to Tampa's lead with her second unassisted goal of the game with 26:38 remaining.
- McKendree adds two goals tightening the score to 10-9, Spartans still leading.
- Shannon Sweeney nets her first goal of the game off the assist from Forester with 22:57 left in the game.
- The Bearcats score with 19:31 left in the game.
- With 15:32 remaining in the game, Kosubinsky adds her third goal of the game on a free possession.
- McKendree scores back-to-back goals to tie the game at 12 with 13:16 remaining.
- About a minute later, McKendree takes the lead on a free possession shot.
- Lauren McNeill ties it up on her first goal of the game with 11:19 left.
- With 10:08 remaining, Kosubinsky gives the Spartans the lead, notching her fourth goal of the game off an assist from Natalie Carraway.
- Less than a minute later, Kosubinsky scores again with another assist coming from Carraway putting Tampa in the lead 15-13.
- Bearcats score with 5:10 left in the game.
- Rom scores her second goal of the game with 1:47 left, she was assisted by Crawford.
- With 57 seconds left in the game, Eber nets her second goal of the game unassisted.
- The University of Tampa Spartans defeated the McKendree University Bearcats by a final score of 17-14.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- On offense, 10 different Spartans all recorded goals. Kayla Kosubinsky led the Spartans with five goals and Rachel Crawford, Amanda Rom, and Graeme Eber recorded two goals each.
- Caroline Forester, Amada Rom, and Natalie Carraway led UT in assists with two each.
- Defensively, the Spartans were led by Alexa Scudillo who recorded four caused turnovers and picked up five ground balls.
- Swanson led Tampa in draw control wins with five.
- Bridget Sutter and Taylor Sisk both logged time playing goalie for the Spartans. Sutter recorded four saves while Sisk logged two.
BEYOND THE BOX:
- 10 different Spartans had goals for Tampa.
- Freshman Kayla Kosubinsky scores a career high of five goals in one game.
- This is Tampa's fourth win over a ranked opponent this season.
On Tuesday, March 20th the Spartans will host the NYIT Bears at 7:30 p.m. Live stats will be available through TampaSpartans.com.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.