TAMPA, Fla. – No. 1 seed Tampa Spartans won game one of the NCAA South Super Regional against the No. 2 seed Delta State Statesmen. The Spartans now hold a 1-0 lead in the best-of-three series to advance to the NCAA Division II Championship Series in Cary, N.C.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No.1 Tampa Spartans 3, No. 2 Delta State Statesmen 1
Records: Tampa (40-14), Delta State (42-13)
Location: UT Baseball Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Delta now leads the all-time series against Tampa 6-5.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Delta State got on the board first with one run on three hits. T6 | 1-0 Delta State
- Drew Ehrhard led off the inning with a single to right field followed by a single from Danny Sirven. Ehrhard andSirven scored on Stevie Mangrum bunt and throwing error from Delta State. Sam Freitas moved Mangrum over with a sac bunt. Cole Perry scored Mangrum on a fielder's choice. B6 | 3-1 Tampa
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Pimentel earns his 12th win on the year after throwing a complete game only allowing one run.
- This marks the first-ever complete game at UT for Pimentel.
- Sirven went 2-3 on the day with one run scored.
- Ehrhard finished 2-4 with one run scored.
OUTSIDE THE BOX
- The Spartans are one win away from advancing to the DII NCAA Championships in Cary, North Carolina.
- This game marked the first-ever NCAA Super Regional played in the South Region.
The Spartans will complete their best-of-three NCAA South Super Regional tomorrow with the first game scheduled for 1 p.m. If necessary, game two is scheduled for 4:30 p.m.
UT also offers a free text messaging service that sends text alerts following all Spartan events. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.