Tampa, Fla.. – No. 1 seed Tampa Spartans win their first game of the NCAA South Regional against No. 8 seed Spring Hill Badgers.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No.1 Tampa Spartans 18, No. 8 Spring Hill Badgers 9
Records: Tampa (37-14), Spring Hill (29-21)
Location: UT Baseball Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa now leads the all-time series against Spring Hill 2-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Badgers jumped out to an early lead with two runs in the first. T1 | 2-0 Spring Hill
- Yorvis Torrealba led the inning off with a walk followed by a Drew Ehrhard single. Torrealba scored after a throwing error by the catcher on a stolen base attempt. B1 | 2-1 Spring Hill
- Sam Freitas got the Spartans going with a hard-hit ball to short followed by a walk from Nick Derr. Freitas and Derr advanced on a wild pitch. Danny Blair walked to make the bases loaded. Nick Detringo crushed a double off of the left-center wall scoring Freitas and Derr. Ehrhard reached on a fielder's choice scoring Blair. Danny Sirven scored Detringo on a sac fly. B2 | 5-2 Tampa
- Spring Hill answered with one run in the next top half. T3 | 5-3 Tampa
- Cole Perry launched a solo home run. Freitas singled to the left side. Derr reached on a fielder's choice followed by a Blair walk. Detringo blooped a single scoring Freitas and Derr. Ehrhard scored Blair on a sac fly. B3 | 9-3 Tampa
- Mangrum doubled to left field and advanced to third on a single by Perry. Mangrum scored on a sac fly by Freitas. B4 | 10-3 Tampa
- The Badgers rallied for three runs to cut down the lead. T4 | 10-6 Tampa
- Blair got the inning started with a single to the right side. Detringo smacked a two-run home run to left field. B5 | 12-6 Tampa
- Detringo singled to center field. Torrealba followed with a double to score Detringo. B7 | 13-6 Tampa
- The Spartans tallied five runs on five hits to extend their lead. B8 | 18-6 Tampa
- Spring Hill added three more runs on three hits to end the game. T9 | 18-9 Tampa
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Krug earns his second win on the year bettering to 2-0.
- Detringo went 4-5 on the day with seven RBI and three runs scored.
- Torrealba finished 2-4 with two RBI.
- Ehrhard added three RBI and Blair finished with four runs scored.
OUTSIDE THE BOX:
- The Tampa offense finished with a season-high 18 runs on 17 hits.
- Detringo reached a career-high along with team season high of seven RBI.
- Detringo hit his sixth home run of the season.
- Perry hit his fourth home run of the season.
The Spartans will play their second game of the NCAA South Regional versus the winner of West Florida/Nova Southeastern scheduled for 12 PM.
UT also offers a free text messaging service that sends text alerts following all Spartan events. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row