LAKELAND, Fla. - No. 5 The University of Tampa baseball team hunt down the Florida Southern College Mocs in both games of Saturday's doubleheader to take the Sunshine State Conference rivalry series.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final | Game One: No. 5 Tampa Spartans 7, Florida Southern Mocs 4
Final | Game Two: No. 5 Tampa Spartans 7, Florida Southern Mocs 5
Records: Tampa (36-12, 19-9 SSC), Florida Southern (23-27, 9-21 SSC)
Location: Henley Field | Lakeland, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa is now 101-104 all-time versus the Mocs.
HOW IT HAPPENED | GAME ONE:
- Danny Blair, Drew Ehrhard, and Yorvis Torrealba walked to start the game. Danny Sirven reached on a catcher's interference scoring Blair. Alec Aleywine scored Ehrhard and Torrealba on an error by the Mocs. T1 | 3-0 Tampa
- Florida Southern added two from a home run. | 3-2 Tampa
- Ehrhard doubled down the left field line eventually scoring from a Sirven single. T5 | 4-2 Tampa
- Yorvis Torrealba hit a solo home run to left field. T7 | 5-2 Tampa
- Stevie Mangrum hit a double down the left field line. Stephen Smith crushes a two-run home run to down the right field line. T8 | 7-2 Tampa
- The Mocs answered in the bottom half with one run. B8 | 7-3 Tampa
- Florida Southern add one more run. B9 | 7-4 Tampa
HOW IT HAPPENED | GAME TWO:
- The Mocs jumped out to an early lead with two runs in the first. B1 | 2-0 Florida Southern
- Torrealba smacked a solo home run to left field. T3 | 2-1 Florida Southern
- Perry crushed a solo home run to left center tying up the game. T4 | 2-2
- The Mocs answered with two in the bottom half to take the lead. B4 | 4-2 Florida Southern
- Torrealba led the inning off with a single to the right side, then stole second. Sirven smoked an RBI double off the right-center wall. Mangrum followed with an RBI single to the left side. T7 | 6-4 Tampa
- Florida Southern scratched one back in the bottom of the seventh. B7 | 6-5 Tampa
- Torrealba hit his third home run of the season extending the lead. T9 | 7-5 Tampa
INSIDE THE STATS | GAME ONE:
- Mason Duke pitched six innings with two runs earned on four hits. He is now 9-0 on the season for the Spartans.
- Torrealba went 1-2 with two runs scored for the Spartans.
- Ehrhard finished 2-4 with two runs scored.
INSIDE THE STATS | GAME TWO:
- Torrealba ended 4-4 with two RBI, four runs scored, and two home runs.
- Sirven went 2-5 with two RBI.
- Perry finished 2-4 with one RBI and one run scored.
OUTSIDE THE BOX:
- Torrealba hit his ninth, tenth, and eleventh home run on the year.
- Smith hits his first home run on the year.
- Perry hits his third home run on the year.
- Tampa snaps a three-game losing streak.
The Spartans will wait and see where they land in the NCAA South Region tournament from May 16-18. Fans may watch the 2019 NCAA Division II Baseball Tournament selection show on Sunday at 10 p.m., on NCAA.com.
UT also offers a free text messaging service that sends text alerts following all Spartan events. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row