TAMPA, Fla.- The No. 1 University of Tampa Spartans take game two of today's double-header after dropping a long, extra inning game one versus the Lynn Fighting Knights.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Game One Final: Lynn Fighting Knights 11, No. 1 Tampa Spartans 10
Game Two Final: No. 1 Tampa Spartans 7, Lynn Fighting Knights 3
Records: Tampa (25-7) (11-4 SSC), Lynn (16-17) (6-12 SSC)
Location: UT Baseball Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: The Spartans are 76-25 all-time against the Fighting Knights. Tampa has won 19 of the last 21 over Lynn.
HOW IT HAPPENED | GAME ONE:
- In the first, Danny Blair scored on a throwing error by Lynn. Danny Sirven, Nick Derr, and Sam Freitas scored on a single by Stevie Mangrum and throwing error by Lynn | 4-0 Tampa
- Lynn scored three in the top of the second | 4-3 Tampa
- Lynn scored three more in the top of the third taking the lead | 6-4 Lynn
- Drew Ehrhard scored on a sac fly by Alec Aleywine. | 6-5 Lynn
- Mangrum and Freitas scored on a few errors by Lynn in the fifth | 7-6 Tampa
- In the bottom of the eight, Yorvis Torrealba scored on a single by Aleywine. Danny Maynard brought in Blair on a single. | 9-6 Tampa
- Lynn tied the game with three runs in the top of the ninth | 9-9
- Lynn scored first in extra innings with one run in the 11th. | 10-9 Lynn
- Freitas scored on a pass ball in the bottom of the 11th. | 10-10
- Lynn homers in the top of the 14th to take the lead. | 11-10 Lynn
HOW IT HAPPENED | GAME TWO:
- In the first, Nick Derr drove in Aleywine with a double in the right center gap. | 1-0 Tampa
- Nick Detringo drove in Freitas on an RBI double to right center. Detringo scored on a double by Drew Ehrhard. | 3-0 Tampa
- Lynn got one back in the top of the third. | 3-1 Tampa
- The Fighting Knights tied the game with two in the top of the fifth. | 3-3
- Ehrhard scored on a fielder's choice on a ground ball by Aleywine giving the Spartans the lead. | 4-3 Tampa
- Freitas got on with a single and eventually scored on a pass ball. Detringo scored off of a balk by Lynn after a hit and run by Ehrhard. | 6-3 Tampa
- Freitas drove in Aleywine on an RBI single to left field extending Tampa's lead | 7-3 Tampa
INSIDE THE STATS | GAME ONE:
- Freitas went 4-6 with three runs scored and three stolen bases.
- Torrealba went 4-7 with a double.
- Aleywine and Mangrum both had two RBI.
INSIDE THE STATS | GAME TWO:
- Derr went 2-2 with one RBI and two walks.
- Freitas finished 4-4 with two runs scored.
- Ehrhard ended 3-5 with one run scored and one RBI.
OUTSIDE THE BOX:
- Tampa has not been a part of a 14-inning game since their game against Florida Tech in 1994.
- Freitas finished the series going 9-14 with six runs scored and four stolen bases.
- The Spartan offense collected a combined 26 hits in the double-header.
The Spartans return to Tampa on Friday night for a home SSC-matchup against Embry-Riddle at 6:00 PM.
UT also offers a free text messaging service that sends text alerts following all Spartan events. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.