ALBANY, Ga. - Head Coach Joe Urso earned his 800th win as the No. 2 University of Tampa Spartans swept Albany State University in their three-game series on Friday and Saturday.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Game One Final: No. 2 Tampa Spartans 5, Albany State Golden Rams 2
Game Two Final: No. 2 Tampa Spartans 4, Albany State Golden Rams 1
Records: Tampa (15-5), Albany State (7-14)
Location: Golden Rams' Field | Albany, Ga.
All-time Series: Tampa leads all-time versus Albany State 13-2. The Spartans defeated the Golden Rams to open the 2018 NCAA South Regional tournament 12-2.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube.
HOW IT HAPPENED IN GAME ONE:
- Albany State kicked off the day by scoring one run in the bottom of the first. | 1-0 Albany State
- Keenan Bell and Nick Derr scored in the top of the fifth to give Tampa the lead. | 2-1 Tampa
- Albany State tied up the ballgame in the bottom of the sixth. | 2-2 Tampa
- The Spartans rallied around a Yorvis Torrealba double in the seventh to score three runs. | 5-2 Tampa
HOW IT HAPPENED IN GAME TWO:
- Alec Aleywine opened up Game Two with a solo Home Run in the top of the first. | 1-0 Tampa
- Nick Derr added a Home Run of his own in the top of the second to increase the Spartans' lead. | 2-0 Tampa
- Aleywine scored in the top of third on a throwing error following a Cole Perry single to tack on another Spartan run. | 3-0 Tampa
- The Golden Rams retaliated with a run in the bottom of third. | 3-1 Tampa.
- Torrealba hit the third Spartan Home Run of the game to increase Tampa's lead. | 4-1 Tampa.
INSIDE THE STATS | GAME ONE:
- Danny Blair and Torrealba both hit 2 for 4 on the game, scoring a combined two runs and three RBI's for the Spartans.
- Danny Sirven was 3 for 4 for the Spartans, tacking on an RBI for Tampa.
- Tyler Beck earned his first career win as a Spartan, allowing only one hit in four shutout innings of relief.
INSIDE THE STATS | GAME TWO:
- Aleywine's Home Run ties him with teammate Stevie Mangrum for a team-leading fifth of the season. He hit 2 for 4 scoring two of four Spartan runs
- Nick Derr was 2 for 2 for Tampa, hitting his first Home Run as Spartan.
- Mason Duke pitched 5 1/3 innings of one-run baseball, earning his fifth win of the season for Tampa.
- Sammy Peralta earned his first save of the season, pitch 1 2/3 innings, recording five strikeouts.
OUTSIDE THE BOX
- Head coach Joe Urso earned his 800th career win as head coach of the Spartans in Game One. Urso has lead the Spartans to four national championships (2006, 2007, 2013, 2015) during his 19-year career as Head coach, and has even won a national championship as a player (1992). Urso's record as the Spartan's chief is 801-233-1.
- Nick DeTringo, Torrealba, and Blair all increase their hitting streaks to eight, nine, and ten games, respectively.
- The Spartans hold a +91 Run Differential in their first twenty games of the season.
The Spartans return to Tampa for a Monday matchup versus the Bridgeport Purple Knights this Monday 3/11 at 6:00 PM.
UT also offers a free text messaging service that sends text alerts following all Spartan events. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.