MELBOURNE, Fla. - The No.2 University of Tampa baseball team split their double-header Saturday with the FIT Panthers.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Game One Final: No. 2 Tampa 12, Florida Tech 14
Game Two Final: No. 2 Tampa 11, Florida Tech 9
Records: Tampa (9-4) (1-2 SSC), Florida Tech (5-6) (2-1 SSC)
Location: Andy Seminick-Les Hall Field | Melbourne, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa continues to hold the lead in the all-time series, 118-34.
HOW IT HAPPENED IN GAME ONE:
- The Panthers opened up the scoring in the bottom of the first by scoring five runs.
- FIT scored one run the second, five in the third, and three in the fourth inning to create a 14-0 lead over Tampa.
- The Spartans responded in the top of the sixth, scoring two runs via singles by Yorvis Torrealba and Cole Perry, cutting the lead to 14-2.
- John Pichman hit a two-run double in the top of the seventh, topping off a six-run rally for the Spartans, narrowing the FIT lead to 14-8.
- In the top of the eighth, Perry hit a grand slam, scoring four runs and shortening the lead to 14-12.
- Florida Tech held off the Spartnas in the top of the ninth, to win the game 14-12.
HOW IT HAPPENED IN GAME TWO:
- Yorvis Torrealba scored in the top of the first on a ground-out from Perry to give the Spartans a 1-0 lead.
- The Spartans increased their lead in the top of the second to 3-0, topped off with an RBI single via Alec Aleywine.
- Danny Blair hit an RBI single in the top of the third
- The Panthers responded with a seven-run rally in the bottom of the third, to lead Tampa 7-4.
- Tampa regained the lead in the top of the fourth, topped off by a three-RBI triple by Nick DeTringo.
- FIT tied the game 8-8 in the bottom of the fifth.
- Blair batted in DeTringo with a single in the top of the sixth, 9-8 Tampa.
- The Panthers then tied the game in the bottom the sixth, 9-9.
- The Spartans scored the game-winning run in the top of the ninth on a Danny Maynard walk, scoring Torrealba. Aleywine also scored on a Nick Derr ground out. Tampa would go on to win 11-9.
INSIDE THE STATS / GAME ONE:
- Perry went four for four on the day, hitting a grand slam, scoring two runs, with six RBI's.
- Perry's grand slam was his first on the season.
- Derr hit three for six on the day, scoring one run for the Spartans.
- Torrealba was two for four on the day, scoring two runs with one RBI and one wallk.
- Tanner Foster recorded his first loss of the season versus the Panthers.
INSIDE THE STATS / GAME TWO:
- Cooper Krug earned his first win of the season versus the Panthers.
- Torrealba scored three runs in the game, going two for four in the process.
- Sam Freitas, Aleywine, and Sirven each scored two runs for the Spartans, combining for five hits.
- DeTringo had four RBI's, as well as scored one run on two hits for the Spartans.
- Tyler Beck recorded his second save of the season.
Tampa returns to action next Friday, March 1st, at 6:00PM as the Nova Southeastern Sharks travel to Tampa for a weekend series.
UT also offers a free text messaging service that sends text alerts following all Spartan events. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.