MILLEDGEVILLE, Ga. - The University of Tampa baseball team took both games of a Saturday afternoon doubleheader from the Georgia College, leading the series 3-0.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Game One Final: No. 2 Tampa 15, No. 6 Georgia College 1
Game Two Final: No. 2 Tampa 6, No. 6 Georgia College 1
Records: Tampa (4-2), Georgia College (4-3)
Location: John Kurtz Field | Milledgeville, Ga.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series record over the Bobcats at 53-21.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube
HOW IT HAPPENED IN GAME ONE:
- The Spartans started the top of the first off hot as they scored four runs to start the game. Nick Detringo recorded the first hit for the Spartans on a bloop double to shallow left field. The Spartans loaded the bases for Danny Sirven that singled up the middle, scoring Detringo and Ehrhard. Nick Derr then singled to the right-side scoring Aleywine. After an error by the Bobcats, Sirven scored on a sac fly by Danny Blair.
- In the third, Danny Maynard led off the inning reaching first from an error. Sirven singled to right center advancing Maynard to third. After a run down and an unconventional way to get runners on second and third, Stephen Smith scored Sirven on a ground ball to the right side increasing the lead to 5-0.
- After two hits and good base running, the Spartans put two more runs on the board in the sixth.
- The Bobcats scored their first run of the game in the bottom of the sixth on a wild pitch, 7-1.
- The Spartans continue their hit fest with Maynard singling to start the seventh. Sirven gets his fourth hit of the game moving Maynard to third. Smith scored Maynard on a fielder's choice. Mikey Navarette singled scoring Sirven. After a bases-loaded walk, the Spartans reached the 10-run mark.
- The Spartans put on five more runs in the last two innings on four hits giving them a significant 15-1 win.
HOW IT HAPPENED IN GAME Two:
- The Spartans continued their successes at the plate early with Nick Detringo leading off the game with a single to left followed by a stolen base. Drew Ehrhard singled to the right side moving Detringo to third. Alec Aleywine scored Detringo on a ground ball to second, 1-0.
- In the third, Ehrhard singled followed by an Aleywine triple in the right-center gap. Aleywine eventually scored on a wild pitch by the Bobcats giving the Spartans a 3-0 lead.
- Tampa plated one in the fourth thanks to a single by Stevie Mangrum followed by a double from Keenan Bell and a sac fly from Stephen Smith.
- Smith drove in another run off a sac fly plating Nick Derr, who singled earlier in the inning putting Tampa up 5-0 in the sixth.
- Georgia College came around and scored one after a pair of errors from the Spartan defense.
- Tampa collected another run in the top of the ninth securing their win, 6-1.
INSIDE THE STATS / GAME ONE:
- Foster earned his first win with 6.0 innings pitched with no runs earned.
- Sirven went 4-4 with two RBI and three runs scored.
- Smith, Blair had two RBI.
- Navarette went 2-4 with two RBI and a stolen base.
INSIDE THE STATS / GAME TWO:
- Duke earns his second win in as many starts with 7.0 innings pitched, allowing no earned runs with four strikeouts.
- Ehrhard went 3-5.
- Smith went 1-2 with two RBI and two stolen bases.
Tampa returns to action on Sunday, February 10th, at 1:00PM as they complete the four-game series at Georgia College.
UT also offers a free text messaging service that sends text alerts following all Spartan events. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.