TAMPA, Fla. - The University of Tampa fought to the last At Bat in a back-and-forth 9-6 matchup versus No. 19 Mount Olive
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 19 Mount Olive Trojans 9, No. 2 Tampa Spartans 6
Records: Tampa (0-2), Mount Olive (1-0)
Location: Steinbrenner Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa now holds a 2-1 advantage in the all-time series.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- UT began in the bottom of the first with two runs capped off by a Nick Derr single.
- Mount Olive took the lead in the top of the sixth with three runs.
- The Spartans responded in the bottom of the sixth with a pair of runs to regain the lead.
- Mount Olive regained the lead in the top of the seventh with two runs.
- Alec Aleywine scored in the bottom of the seventh to tie the game for the Spartans 5-5
- Joe Mason hit a three-run home run in the top of the eighth to give the Trojans a three-run lead
- UT and Mount Olive exchanged runs in the bottom of the eighth and top of the ninth to end the game with a 9-6 score
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Yorvis Torrealba impressed in his debut with the Spartans as he went 2-2 with hits in the sixth and ninth innings.
- Tanner Foster pitched five scoreless innings, giving up five hits and two walks with striking out four in his Spartan debut.
- Nick Derr hit three for five on the day, with two RBI's and one run scored.
OUTSIDE THE BOX:
- Head coach Joe Urso now stands at 786 career wins as the all-time winningest coach in UT history is approaching another milestone.
Tampa faces No. 1 North Greenville on Sunday at noon at Steinbrenner Field.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.