VALDOSTA, Ga. – The University of Tampa women's cross country team started its 2017 season with an impressive second-place effort at the Valdosta State Invitational.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
UT Finish: 1st, 39 points
Overall Champion: Tampa
Location: Freedom Park | Valdosta, Ga.
Host Institution: Valdosta State University
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
TOP SPARTAN PERFORMERS:
• Zoe Jarvis | 3rd overall, 18:59.8
• Monika Brill | 5th overall, 19:05.3
• Brieanna Rekow | 8th overall, 19:23.2
• Sydney Rhodes | 10th overall, 19:29.9
• Margo Dailey | 13th overall, 19:47.5
• Jarvis was the top Spartan runner in her first collegiate race.
• All five of the top five Spartans were freshmen. Joining Jarvis were classmates Brill, Rekow, Rhodes and Dailey.
• A total of eight teams competed, including South Region opponents Georgia College (2), Flagler (4), Valdosta State (5), Clayton State (6) and Georgia Southwestern (7).
• UT was the lone Sunshine State Conference school to compete.
• Head coach Jarrett Slaven entered a total of 18 runners.
Tampa will compete in a pair of races on September 9, sending runners to the North Florida and Florida Tech Invitationals.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.TampaSpartans.com.