TAMPA, Fla. – The University of Tampa tennis team fell short against New Jersey Institute (NJIT) of Technology on Wednesday afternoon.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: NJIT Highlanders 5, Tampa Spartans 4
Records: Tampa (5-3), NJIT (3-6)
Location: Naimoli & Young Family Tennis Complex | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: NJIT now leads 1-0 as Wednesday's match marked the first between the two programs.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
- Tampa took two of the three doubles matches to carry a 2-1 lead to singles action.
- The number two team of Lilley Nice and Maddie Stephens won by a score of 8-4.
- UT's three team of Ava Sowell and Danielle Beyes won 8-2.
- Lozo was victorious at the number-one singles match, defeating her opponent 6-2, 6-1.
- At three singles, Nice won 6-2, 6-4.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Nice is a perfect 8-0 in dual match singles play.
- This marks the first match of the season where the Spartans played an NCAA Division I opponent.
- With a career record of 21-7, Stephens ranks 14th in school history in singles wins.
- Emily Hewland ranks 11th in UT history with 23 doubles wins.
UP NEXT: Tampa travels to Melbourne, Fla., to play at Florida Tech in a Sunshine State Conference match on Saturday at 11 a.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.