TAMPA, Fla. – The University of Tampa women's lacrosse defeated the Concordia St.Paul University Golden Bears after a five-goal deficit in the first half. The Spartans had 17 unanswered goals in the victory.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa 20, Concordia St. Paul 7
Records: Tampa (5-5, SSC 0-1), Concordia St. Paul (6-5)
Location: Naimoli Field, Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: This is the first match-up, Tampa leads the series 1-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Golden Bears took an early lead against Tampa of 5-0.
- Tampa finally fought back at 12:08 with a goal from Carly Vaccaro assisted by Cali Edgar.
- Maggie Gladden came through with an unassisted goal, now down by three goals.
- Madison Ewing takes a free position attempt and converted it for a goal for Tampa.
- With 5:10 on the clock Allie Popelar with help from Gladden made the score within one goal.
- The tying goal comes from Ewing assisted by Amanda Rom.
- Tampa takes a 6-5 lead with Ewing, assisted by Edgar.
- The final goal of the half with 20 seconds left was unassisted by Shannon Sweeney.
- Tampa's goal streak continued to eight goals with a free position goal from Amanda Voges.
- Rom has her first goal of the game at 28:59 with an assist from Voges, Tampa leading 9-5.
- Caroline Forester continues the streak with an assist from Voges.
- Freshman Claire Swanson with her first of the game and another assist from Voges, Tampa leading 11-5.
- Forester strikes with 26:31 with an assist from Vaccaro
- Voges shoots her second goal of the game with help from Edgar, Tampa leading 13-5.
- A free position is converted to a goal by Rom.
- Abby Coccagna takes a man-up goal to start a running clock.
- Swanson with her second goal of the game with 20:37 left, assisted by Voges.
- Forester and Gladden team up to make it 17-5.
- The Golden Bears answer back with two goals at 13:15.
- Voges with her third goal of the game comes with 5:11 left, assisted by Gladden.
- Less than two minutes left, Ewing with an assist from Megan Sanchez give Tampa 12 goal lead.
- The final goal of the game comes from Tampa's Mallary Weinsz with 30 seconds left. Tampa wins the game by a score of 20-7
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Voges had a total of seven points with three goals and four assists, taking three draw controls.
- In her first game back returning from an injury, Ewing led the team in goals with four.
- Forester had three goals with two draw controls.
- Rom tallied three points with two goals, one assist and one caused turnover.
- Gladden totaled four points with three assists and one goal.
- Swanson scored twice for Tampa with one caused turnover and one draw control.
- Popelar led the team in draw controls with four, also scored a goal.
- Coccagna led the team in caused turnovers with three, also scoring a goal.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Junior Rom is approaching 100 career points with 95 so far. She will be the second Spartan to reach this milestone.
Tampa returns to action on Friday, March 24th against Colorado Mesa. The match-up will start at 7:30 p.m. at Naimoli Field in Tampa, Fla. Live stats will be available through TampaStats.com.
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.