VALDOSTA, Ga. – The University of Tampa men's cross country team started its 2017 season with an impressive second-place effort at the Valdosta State Invitational.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
UT Finish: 2nd, 36 points
Overall Champion: Georgia College, 32 points
Location: Freedom Park | Valdosta, Ga.
Host Institution: Valdosta State University
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
TOP SPARTAN PERFORMERS:
• Michael Wilson | 5th overall, 19:58.3
• Nick Morfesi | 6th overall, 19:58.6
• Brent Turner | 7th overall, 20:00.3
• Trevor Kattenberg | 9th overall, 20:14.1
• Stone Malick | 11th overall, 20:15.1
• Three of UT's top five runners are freshmen, including Wilson, Kattenberg and Malick.
• A total of seven teams competed, including South Region opponents Georgia College (1), Valdosta State (3), Flagler (4) and Clayton State (5).
• UT was the lone Sunshine State Conference school to compete.
• Joe Weber made it nine Spartans in the top-20 as he was 19th overall.
• Head coach Dror Vaknin entered a total of 16 runners.
Tampa will compete in a pair of races on September 9, sending runners to the North Florida and Florida Tech Invitationals.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.TampaSpartans.com.