TAMPA, Fla. – The University of Tampa men's swimming team opened its 2017-18 season with a lopsided victory over visiting Rollins College.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Tampa took first-place in each of the 14 men's races.
- Among UT's victories were a pair of wins in the two relay events.
- Tampa took the top spot in the 200 Medley Relay, with a time of 1:35.38 coming from the team of Brett Saunders, Stefano Vrolijk, Marc Caron and Aaron James.
- Nick Tinucci was the fastest swimmer in the 1,000 Free, being timed at 10:00.94. He also won the 500 Free in 4:52.40.
- In his first meet as a Spartan, Cameron Newton won the 200 Free with a time of 1:43.62.
- Saunders was first in the 100 Back (55.57), 200 Back (1:57.33) and 200 IM (1:56.65).
- Winning the 100 Breast was Vrolijk, with a time of 58.62. He also won the 200 Breast with a time of 2:11.19.
- Freshman Brady Stabler won the 200 Fly in 1:54.93.
- Caron was tops in the 50 Free at 21.60 and 100 Fly at 51.17.
- The 100 Free went to Daniel Jacob, who was clocked at 47.13.
- The Spartans concluded the meet with a first in the 200 Free Relay. The team of Youssef Khowessah, Yannick Smith, Cooper Holmes and Stabler were timed at 1:28.59.
Tampa is back in action on Friday at home against Savannah College of Art & Design. The meet is scheduled to start at 4 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.