Nov 03, 2017
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - The University of Tampa men's soccer team prevailed following 110 minutes of scoreless play, winning a shootout against Lynn University at the 2017 Sunshine State Conference Tournament.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa 0, Lynn 0, Tampa wins PKs 4-2
Records: Tampa Spartans (8-3-3), Lynn Fighting Knights (11-3-2)
Location: Rinker Athletic Camp | West Palm Beach, Fla.
All-time Series: This marked the ninth of the previous 10 games decided by one-or-less goals in the series as Lynn now owns a 23-14-4 record in the all-time series. This also goes down as the second consecutive tie between the two teams in SSC tournament action following last season's 0-0 tie that resulted in a Lynn shootout victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
1st Half | Each team registered just one shot on goal in the opening half, with the Fighting Knights holding a 5-3 edge in shots.
2nd Half | The second half mimicked the first as neither team was able to find the net. Lynn would finish the period with eight shots while the Spartans tallied five.
First Overtime | Lynn was credited with four shots, but both teams were scoreless in the first overtime period.
Second Overtime | It was another 10 minutes of scoreless play, with Tampa logging a shot and the Fighting Knights three.
QUOTING HEAD COACH ADRIAN BUSH
"Huge credit to both teams as these players played their hearts out. The man of the match is without question Jake Richards. He kept us in the game all night and showed in PKs why he's one of the best goalkeepers in the country."
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Lynn outshot the Spartans 20-9 in the contest.
- The Spartans tallied four shots on goal, with the Fighting Knights being credited with six.
- Lewis Sugden led the way for Tampa's offensive, recording three shots including two on target.
- Also registering three shots for UT was Marcel Salokat, who also had one on goal.
- SSC Offensive Player of the Year Felipe DeSousa played all 110 minutes and had one shot.
- Goalkeeper Jake Richards turned in an excellent performance, finishing with six saves as the sophomore also turned away two shots in the shootout.
- Tampa connected on all four of its shootout chances.
- After scoring on its first two penalty kicks, Lynn missed the following two as UT clinched the shootout win.
- Scoring for the Spartans in the shootout were Salokat, DeSousa, Markus Woldsund and Sugden.
- Lynn held a 10-3 advantage in corner kicks.
- Fouls were 20-13 in favor of Tampa.
- A total of six yellow cards were issued, with four going to the Spartans and two for the Fighting Knights.
- Looking for its third SSC tournament title and first since 2010, the Spartans are now 9-7-3 in the tournament.
- Both SSC titles have been won under the direction of current head coach Adrian Bush.
- With 135 career victories at UT, Bush now needs two victories to match all-time winningest coach Tom Fitzgerald.
Tampa will face the winner of the Palm Beach Atlantic and Rollins matchup. The SSC title match will be played at the same location on Sunday at 1 p.m. Video will be available through SunshineStateConference.tv.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.TampaSpartans.com.