Oct 11, 2017
TAMPA, Fla. - The University of Tampa men's soccer team notched a 3-0 victory over visiting Embry-Riddle University in the first-ever Sunshine State Conference meeting between the two schools.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa 3, Embry-Riddle 0
Records: Tampa (4-3-1, 3-2-1 SSC), Embry-Riddle (1-6-1, 0-5-1 SSC)
Location: Pepin Stadium | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa now holds a 5-2-2 record in the all-time series against the first-year SSC institution.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
1st Half | Sophomore Lewis Sugden netted the game-winner in the 31st minute off a free kick goal. Just over five minutes later, Sugden assisted teammate Markus Woldsund on a goal that put UT on top 2-0 at the half. The Spartans closed out the half with a 6-1 advantage in shots on goal.
2nd Half | The Spartan lead was stretched to 3-0 when Brandon Berg connected on his first goal of his UT career. Sugden assisted the goal in the 52nd minute. The Spartans recorded six shots in the half compared to three for the Eagles.
INSIDE THE STATS:
• The Spartans outshot Embry-Riddle 12-4 in the game, including an 8-1 differential in shots on goal.
• Sugden played a part in all three Spartan goals. This marks the second time in his career where he had a goal and two assists, with the first coming against No. 22 Rollins in 2016.
• Sudgen led Tampa with four shots, including two on target. Woldsund had three shots, with two on goal.
• Jake Richards started in goal for Tampa, finishing with one save. The victory marked the eighth career shutout for the sophomore.
• Embry-Riddle was issued eight yellow cards as the Spartans collected two. The Eagles played the final three minutes a man down as they collected a second yellow.
• Tampa had more fouls, 8-5, while ERAU took more corners, 5-1.
Tampa travels to Boca Raton for a meeting with SSC rival Lynn University on Saturday at 2 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.TampaSpartans.com.