Oct 04, 2017
TAMPA, Fla. - The University of Tampa men's soccer team capitalized on a goal 40-seconds into the match as it notched a 2-0 victory over No. 17 Rollins College in a Sunshine State Conference matchup.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa 2, No. 17 Rollins 0
Records: Tampa (3-2-1, 2-1-1 SSC), No. 17 Rollins (5-2-1, 3-2 SSC)
Location: Pepin Stadium | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series 26-16-2.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
1st Half | Felipe DeSousa registered his second goal in as many matches as he needed just 40-seconds to give the Spartans an early lead in the first minute of play on a score that was assisted by Romario Grant. That would mark the lone goal of the half as UT would double up the Tars on shots 4-2.
2nd Half | The Spartans would extend their lead to 2-0 as Monty Berrow scored just over seven minutes into the half. DeSousa racked up an assist on the score, which went down as the final goal of the evening for both teams. Rollins would outshoot the Spartans 7-3 in the half, though each of the shots were turned away.
INSIDE THE STATS:
• Rollins held a 9-7 advantage in shots on goal.
• Playing in his third game as a Spartan, DeSousa has now scored in two straight matches while tallying 10 total shots in the matches.
• DeSousa led all Spartans with three shots, including two on goal.
• Jake Richards recorded his first shutout of 2017 as the sophomore netminder finished with four saves.
• Rollins took eight corners compared to two for Tampa.
• Fouls were 9-5 in favor of Rollins.
Tampa travels to Miami Shores, Fla., for an SSC matchup at Barry University on Saturday at 6 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.TampaSpartans.com.