BOCA RATON, Fla. – Facing its rival for the third time this season, the University of Tampa men's soccer team ended the season of No. 5 Lynn University by a 1-0 score to advance to the next round of the NCAA Division II Regional.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: University of Tampa 1, Lynn University 0
Records: Tampa Spartans (11-4-3), Lynn Fighting Knights (14-1-2)
Location: Malfitano Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
1st Half | Lynn forced Tampa keeper Jake Richards to make some incredible saves in the opening half of play. The freshman posted five saves in the first period to keep the torrid Fighting Knights offense off the board. Sophomore Fredinho Mompremier and senior Jake Winship recorded shots for UT but the Lynn defenders held firm to keep the contest scoreless in the first 45 minutes of play.
2nd Half | Both teams battled in the opening minutes to control the tone of the contest. At the 54' mark, sophomore Mompremier netted a goal after a strong pass from Bay Downing deflected off of Lynn keeper Alexander Roth's hands. Defenders Ramzi Toure and Jon Tiggs limited the Fighting Knights' chances in the second half as Lynn did not record a shot on goal in the entire second stanza.
INSIDE THE STATS:
• Lynn out-shot the Spartans 20-7, with Tampa's lone shot on goal proved to be the game-winner to end the Fighting Knight's season.
• Freshman keeper Richards improves to 12-4-3 on the season while Roth concludes the year with a record of 14-2-2.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
• For the first time this season, Tampa improves to 5-3 all-time when facing Lynn in the NCAA Tournament. The Spartans improve to 29-19-1 in NCAA postseason contests.
• UT's last win against the Lynn came during the 2011 regular season, Tampa won by a similar 1-0 fashion on Oct. 1, 2011.
• Lynn keeper Roth did not record a save for the first time this season, playing the full 90 minutes and allowing the lone shot on goal he faced to be converted for a goal.
The Spartans will face the winner of the second South regional contest between Florida Tech and Palm Beach Atlantic with game times and locations to be determined. Live stats and a live video webcast link will be provided through www.tampaspartans.com.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AN EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.