WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - The University of Tampa men's soccer team played to the 0-0
draw with Lynn University as the 2016 Sunshine State Conference tournament championship was awarded to the Fighting Knights following a shootout victory.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa 0, No. 5 Lynn 0 (Lynn wins PKs 5-3)
Records: Tampa (11-4-3), Lynn (14-1-2)
Location: Rinker Athletic Campus | West Palm Beach, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa trails the all-time series versus Lynn by a 13-23-2 mark. UT
also trails 1-2-1 against Lynn in the SSC tournament.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
1st Half | Tampa had a pair of opportunities early in the half as Jason Collister had a shot in the box that resulted in an amazing dive by the Lynn keeper. UT then had a goal that was called off as it was ruled offsides following a discussion. Lynn oushot the Spartans 5-3 on the half, as each team had a pair of shots on goal.
2nd Half | The match remained scoreless, with Lynn outshooting the Spartans 8-4. The Fighting Knights also held a 3-1 advantage in shots on target.
1st Overtime | Each team had just one shot in the first overtime period, with neither able to secure the golden goal.
2nd Overtime | The match went to a shootout following another scoreless overtime period. The Fighting Knights were credited with a pair of shots as one was on goal.
INSIDE THE STATS:
• Lynn outshot the Spartans 16-8, with six of the Fighting Knights shots being on
target. Tampa was credited with four shots on goal.
• The Spartans had a pair of goals that were negated after the officals deemed an offsides. One was early in the first half as the second resulted in the second.
• Jake Richards notched his third shutout of the SSC tournament as he previously blanked top-seed Palm Beach Atlantic in the semifinals and Barry in the quarterfinals. The freshman finished with five saves on the day.
• This marks UT's sixth shutout of the season. The others came against Palm Beach Atlantic, Barry, Nova Southeastern, Warner and Clayton State.
• Lynn had a slight edge in corner kicks, 5-4.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
• Tampa placed three players on the all-championship team, including Richards, Sugden and Troy Tucker.
• The goalkeeping duo of Richards and Richard Trench has continued to work for the Spartans. Both have been highly successful in 2016 with Richards winning seven games and notching five shutouts. Trench has three wins, and owns 38 saves while Richards has 36.
• Sunday's shutout marks the second time this season where the Spartans have blanked their opponents in three consecutive matches. The last time it happened was wins over Clayton State, Warner and Nova Southeastern earlier in the season.
• The Spartans are now 2-2-1 all-time in the Sunshine State Conference tournament championship match. Both titles have come under current head coach Adrian Bush, in 2007 and 2010.
• In the latest NCAA South Region rankings, Tampa was listed in fifth place behind Palm Beach Atlantic, Lynn, Florida Tech and Mississippi College. The top four teams from the South are selected for postseason play.
The Spartans now await word on their NCAA tournament fate. UT expects to earn an invite to the four-team NCAA South Regional, which begins next weekend. Please visit TampaSpartans.com for complete information on UT men's soccer.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.