TAMPA, Fla. – The No. 6 University of Tampa Spartans defeat Queens University of Charlotte Royals by a final score of 14-9.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa Spartans 14, Queens Royals 9
Records: Tampa (2-0), Queens (0-1)
Location: Queens Sports Complex l Charlotte, N.C.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series 4-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Royals were the first team on the board with a goal from Reed Murphy.
- Shortly after, Queens scored again leading the Spartans 2-0.
- Finally, at 11:52 Hunter Van Horn scored the first goal for Tampa, the assist by Matt Vetter.
- Queens answered with another goal making it 3-1.
- Van Horn then scored his second goal of the day, the assist from Andrew Kew.
- Then with 3:24 left in the first period, Andrew Kew scored for the Spartans.
- Donavon Dempsey then scored his first goal of the day for Tampa MLAX giving Tampa the lead 4-3.
- To start the second period, sophomore Bryan Wright scored for the Spartans.
- Then a minute later, Kew got his second goal of the game with 8:45 left in the period.
- Queens answered with a goal of their own, now down by two.
- Kew then netted the last goal of the half, giving Tampa a 7-4 lead heading into the half.
- Coming out of the half, Tampa's first goal was from Shane Hanlon, assisted by Jake Mosher McGraw.
- Queens then scored making it, Tampa 8, Queens 5.
- Dempsey then earned his second goal of the game, this time from Max Lambert.
- Jake Mosher McGraw and Bryan Wright then scored with back-to-back goals from Kew and Van Horn respectively.
- The Royals scored the first goal of the fourth period. Tampa still held the lead 11-6.
- Jake Mosher McGraw then netted another point for the Spartans.
- At the 10:30 mark, the Royals answered.
- Bryan Wright then scored his third and final goal of the day, the assist from Max Lambert.
- Matt Vetter scored his first a minute later, solidifying Tampa's dominance 14-7.
- The final two goals of the game were by the Royals.
- The Tampa Spartans defeated the Queens Royals 14-9.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Kew and Wright led all Spartans in goals with three each.
- Dempsey, Mosher McGraw, and Van Horn were second in goals, all with two.
- Kew led the team in assists with two.
- Ronnie Shul led the Spartans in ground balls with seven
- B.J. Borowski recorded 10 saves on 17 shots.
- Ross Dickerson led Tampa in faceoff wins, recording 19-24.
Tampa will continue their 2018 season, traveling to Gaffney, South Carolina where they will face the Limestone Saints on Sunday, February 18. The game is scheduled to start at 12:00 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.