TAMPA, Fla. - The No. 1 University of Tampa baseball team avoided a Sunshine State Conference sweep as they split a doubleheader with No. 4 Florida Southern College on Saturday. The day also served as senior day, with UT recognizing its 11 seniors prior to the doubleheader.
Game One Final: No. 4 Florida Southern Moccasins 5, No. 1 Tampa Spartans 1
Game Two Final: No. 1 Tampa Spartans 16, No. 4 Florida Southern Moccasins 9
Records: Tampa (39-9, 27-3 SSC), Florida Southern (39-9-1, 22-8 SSC)
Location: UT Baseball Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Florida Southern leads the all-time series by a record of 101-99.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME 1:
- The Spartans took a 1-0 lead on a Nick DeTringo single in the third inning, scoring Brandon Gali.
- Florida Southern took the lead with a four-run fifth inning.
- The Mocs extended their advantage to 5-1 with a run in the seventh.
INSIDE THE STATS GAME 1:
- DeTringo led the team with a pair of hits as the rightfielder also accounted for the lone RBI in the game.
- Starting for UT was Clay Helvey, who tossed 5.0 innings. The junior righty only allowed two earned runs with a pair of strikeouts.
- Helvey now stands at 5-1 on the season.
- Senior lefty Christian Calleja tossed the final 4.0 frames, giving up three hits and one run while fanning three Mocs.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME 2:
- Florida Southern took a 2-0 lead with a pair of runs in the first inning.
- The Spartans broke out with four runs in the first to take the lead. Connor Crile blasted a two-run home run as Harrison Bragg also drove in a run with a single. The other Spartan run came on a double steal where Richie Rivera stole home.
- Tampa matched its first inning output with a four-spot in the second to grab an 8-2 lead. Bragg connected on a two-run home run, while the other two runs scored via a two-base Moccasin throwing error.
- Bragg slugged his second home run of the game with a solo shot in the fourth, as UT scored another run in the frame on an RBI single by Gali.
- UT stretched its lead to 11-2 on an RBI single by Crile in the fifth.
- Another big inning was recorded in the seventh as UT crossed five runs. Kyle Cotilletta registered a two-run single as Rivera and Chris Gaffney each singled home a run. The other UT run scored on a balk.
INSIDE THE STATS GAME 2:
- Bragg hit two homes as he finished 3-for-4 with four RBI and three runs. He also drew a walk.
- Crile also turned in three hits as he scored two runs and drove in three.
- Also notching three hits in game two was Rivera.
- DeTringo and Gaffney each had two hits.
- A total of 12 Spartans had a hit in the game.
- Colton Widdows started for Tampa and threw 1.0 innings.
- Cole Aker entered in the second inning and would finish with 5.0 innings pitched. He allowed just three hits and one run while striking out eight. He is now 3-1 on the season.
- Tyler Beck and Kasey Radke also pitched, throwing 2.0 and 1.0 innings respectively.
UT awaits word on its fate at the 2018 NCAA South Regional, which will be announced at the selection show on Sunday at 10:00 p.m., Eastern on NCAA.com. The regional is scheduled for May 17-21.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.