CLEVELAND, Miss. - The No. 4 University of Tampa Spartans took on the Valdosta State Blazers and came out victorious by a 14-5 mark.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 4 Tampa 14, Valdosta 5
Records: Tampa (39-13), Valdosta (33-23)
Location: Harvey Stadium-Ferriss Field | Cleveland, Miss.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series with the Blazers 29-20.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
How it happened
- The top of the first proved successful for the Spartans as Laz Rivera roped a single to center field. Vin Cosenzo was walked in his at bat with a pitch count of 3-1. Darren Miller came up to the plate and singled through the right side advancing Cosenzo to second base and L. Rivera scored. Chris Gaffney singled to left center moving Miller to second and scoring Cosenzo.
- The second inning was much like the first for the Spartans, Danny Lee was walked on a full count. Richie Rivera came up and grounded out on a sacrifice bunt advancing Lee to second base. Kevin Santa came up next and singled to center field and advanced to second on the throw, Lee scored. Osborne came up to the plate and homered to left field recording two RBI.
- The Blazers mirrored the Spartans as they picked up three runs in the bottom of the second.
- Valdosta scored one run in the bottom of the third and fourth innings before the Spartans scored again.
- Tampa picked up three runs in the top of the fifth that made the score 8-5.
- The top of the seventh was the most successful inning for the Spartans as they scored six runs. The top of the seventh started with Miller reaching on a throwing error by the third baseman and advanced to second. Gaffney singled to first base and moved Miller to third. Connor Crile came up and singled to left field and Miller scored. R. Rivera singled to the catcher on a bunt and Gaffney scored. Santa hit a RBI single to right field. Osborne continued the hitting tear by doubling down the left field line and bringing R. Rivera across home plate. Miller came up to bat for the second time in the inning and hit a two RBI single to left field making the score 14-5.
- Neither team would score again, solidifying the Spartans win at 14-5.
Inside the Stats
- Santa went 2-6 with two runs and two RBI
- Osborne went 4-6 with three runs, three RBI, two doubles and one home run
- Miller went 2-5 with four RBI
Beyond the Boxscore:
- Cheyne Bickel improves his record to 7-4 after earning the win.
- Osborne hit his 19th home run of the season.
Tampa will return to action tomorrow at 2 pm for a battle against West Alabama. Fans can watch through TampaSpartans.tv.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.