TAMPA, Fla. - The No. 5 University of Tampa Spartans battled Rollins College in a doubleheader and swept the Tars.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final (Game One): No. 5 Tampa Spartans 3, Rollins Tars 1
Final (Game Two): No. 5 Tampa Spartans 9, Rollins Tars 4
Records: Tampa (37-12, 20-4 SSC), Rollins (27-23, 9-15 SSC)
Location: UT Baseball Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series with a 106-29-1 record over the Tritons.
How it happened (Game One):
- The first run of the game came in the bottom of the fourth when Kevin Santa sparked the offense with a double to right center. Laz Rivera came up to bat next and singled up the middle, scoring Santa.
- Both teams remained scoreless until the eighth inning when the Tars put a run on the board and tied the game.
- Chris Gaffney came up to bat in the bottom of the eighth when he hit a solo homerun to start the inning. Santa came up and singled through the right side and advanced to third on a throwing error. L. Rivera reached on a fielder's choice that would bring Santa across the plate and make the score 3-1. The Spartans maintained this lead and went on to win by the same mark.
How it happened (Game Two):
- The Tars were the first on the board in the top of the first when they picked up one run.
- In the bottom of the first, Santa was walked and then stole second base. Osborne reached on an error by the shortstop and Santa scored.
- The Tars picked up another run in the top of the third when they collected a solo homerun and took the lead 2-1.
- In the bottom of the third, Santa singled to center field and stole second base. L. Rivera tripled down the right field line and Santa scored tying the game, 2-2. Osborne reached on a fielding error by the shortstop and L. Rivera scored, 3-2.
- The Tars hit another solo homerun in the top of the fourth and took a two run lead on the Spartans.
- The Spartans regained the lead in the bottom of the seventh when they put two runs on the board.
- In the bottom of the eighth, Jack Loefflad was walked (3-0). Santa came up to bat and singled and he advanced to second on the throw and Loefflad advanced to third. L. Rivera came up next and homered to center field to increase the Spartans lead to 9-4.
- The Spartans held the lead and went on to sweep the Tars.
Inside the Stats (Game One):
- Gaffney went 2-2 with one RBI and one home run.
- Santa went 2-4 with two runs and one double.
Inside the Stats (Game Two):
- Osborne went 3-5 with two runs and three RBI
- L. Rivera went 2-4 with three runs and four RBI
- Santa went 3-4 with three runs and one double
Beyond the Box:
- L. Rivera hit his fourth homerun of the season
- The Spartans finish their season at 37-12 and 20-4 in SSC
Tampa will find out their post-season destiny Sunday night as they will find out where the Regional tournament will be hosted.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com