TAMPA, Fla. - The No. 6 University of Tampa Spartans took on the Sailfish of Palm Beach Atlantic and defeated them 14-9.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 6 Tampa 14, Palm Beach Atlantic 9
Records: Tampa (30-11), Palm Beach (26-19)
Location: Rubin Park | West Palm Beach, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series over the Sailfish, 18-6.
How it happened
- In the top of the first, Laz Rivera was hit by the pitch to get on base. Darren Miller grounded out on a sacrifice bunt that advanced L. Rivera to second base. J.D. Osborne came up to bat and singled to right center scoring L. Rivera.
- In the top of the second Danny Lee walked on a full count. Connor Crile advanced Lee to second after grounding out to second base. Richie Rivera singled on a bunt and advanced Lee to third base. Chris Gaffney came up next and doubled to left center scoring Lee and moving R. Rivera to third base. Kevin Santa flied out to second base and R. Rivera scored making the score 3-0.
- The Spartans had a successful top of the third as they brought in four runs and made the score 7-4.
- The Sailfish put pressure on the Spartans in the bottom of the third when they scored four runs.
- In the top of the fifth, R. Rivera walked. Gaffney came up next and singled to left field advancing R. Rivera to third base. Santa came up next and singled on a bunt, got to second on a throwing error and scoring R. Rivera.
- The Sailfish kept the game close as they scored three more runs in the bottom of the fifth making the score 8-7.
- The Spartans picked up one run in the top of the sixth to increase their lead to 9-7.
- In the top of the eighth, Osborne singled to right field followed by a single from Vin Cosenzo. Lee reached on a throwing error by the catcher, moving all hitters one base. Crile singled to right field, scoring Osborne and making the score 10-7. Gaffney singled up the middle and picked up two RBI, Lee and Cosenzo.
- The Sailfish scored a run in the bottom of the eighth making the score 12-8.
- The Spartans would pick up two more runs in the top of the ninth and the Sailfish picked up one in the bottom of the ninth and the Spartans went on to win 14-9.
Inside the Stats
- Cosenzo went 3-5 with four runs, one double, and one RBI
- Crile went 3-5 with one run and two RBI
- Gaffney went 3-5 with three RBI
- Santa went 1-3 with three RBI
Beyond the Boxscore:
- Cheyne Bickel earned the win and improves his record to 5-4.
- Cody Martin picked up his first save of the season.
Tampa will return to action tomorrow at 12 pm for a doubleheader against the Sailfish. Fans can watch through TampaSpartans.tv.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.