TAMPA, Fla. - The No. 9 University of Tampa Spartans battled the Lynn University Knights in a doubleheader and .
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final (Game One): No. 9 Tampa Spartans 4, No. 16 Lynn Knights 2
Final (Game Two): No. 9 Tampa Spartans 8, No. 16 Lynn Knights 3
Records: Tampa (27-10, 13-2 SSC), Lynn (25-16, 8-10 SSC)
Location: UT Baseball Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series with a 70-24 record over the Knights.
How it happened (Game One):
- In the bottom of the second Vin Cosenzo started out with a double to right center. Connor Crile then came up to bat and tripled to right field, scoring Cosenzo and putting the Spartans on the board. Richie Rivera came to the plate and grounded out to second base and scored Crile, 2-0.
- The Knights hit a solo homerun in the top of the fourth to make the score 2-1.
- The Knigths picked up another run in the top of the fifth to tie the game, 2-2.
- Laz Rivera got on base in the bottom of the sixth when he was hit by the pitch. Then, Consenzo doubled to right center and L. Rivera advanced to third. Lee reached on a throwing error by the second baseman and Cosenzo scored, 3-2.
- The Spartans picked up one run in the bottom of the eighth to make the score 4-2 heading into the top of the ninth.
- The Spartans went on to win 4-2 over the Knights.
How it happened (Game Two):
- Santa walked to start game two of the DH. Miller came up next and doubled to left center and scored Santa. Miller advanced to third base on a wild pitch. L. Rivera grounded out to shortstop and scored Miller, making the score 2-0.
- The Spartans picked up two runs in the bottom of the second inning to increase their lead to 4-0.
- L. Rivera was hit by the pitch to start out the bottom of the third. Cosenzo singled to shortstop and L. Rivera advanced to second. Lee grounded out to third base and advances all hitters one base. Andrew DiLacqua came up to bat and tripled to right field scoring L. Rivera and Cosenzo, making the score 6-0.
- The Spartans earned one run in the bottom of the fourth to increase their lead to 7-0.
- The Knights picked up three runs in the top of the fifth to close in on the Spartans lead 7-3.
- Santa started off the bottom of the sixth with a solo homerun to right field, 8-3.
- The Spartans went on to win 8-3 over the Knights.
Inside the Stats (Game One):
- Cosenzo went 2-2, with two runs, and two doubles.
- Lee went 1-4 and one RBI.
Inside the Stats (Game Two):
- Santa went 3-3 with three runs, two RBI, and one homerun.
- Miller went 3-3 with one double, one run, and one RBI.
- DiLacqua went 2-4 with one double, one triple, and two RBI.
Beyond the Box:
- Cheyne Bickel improved his record to (4-3)
- Garrett Cave collected his second save.
- Jordan Leasure picked up a win and improved his record to 2-1.
Tampa will return to action on Friday April 21st as they travel to Lakeland for a weekend series with Florida Southern starting at 6 pm. Fans can watch through TampaSpartans.tv.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.