TAMPA, Fla. - The No. 3 University of Tampa Spartans took on the No. 25 ranked Tusculum Pioneers for game two and fell 3-2.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 25 Tusculum Pioneers 3, No. 3 Tampa Spartans 2
Records: Tampa (23-10), Tusculum (23-10)
Location: Pioneer Park | Tusculum, TN
All-time Series: Tampa trails the all-time series with the Pioneers, 2-3.
How it happened
- In the top of the first Danny Lee started by hitting a single to first base on a bunt. J.D. Osborne then singled through the right side advancing Lee to third base. The Spartans would earn their first run after a single to third base by Laz Rivera, scoring Lee.
- Neither team would score another run until the bottom of the fifth when the Pioneers tied the game 1-1.
- The Pioneers picked up another run in the bottom of the seventh which gave them the lead over the Spartans, 2-1.
- In the top of the eighth, Osborne hit a solo homerun to left field tying the game at 2-2.
- The Pioneers would pick up one more run in the bottom of the eighth inning that would eventually solidify their win 3-2, despite efforts by the Spartans in the top of the ninth inning.
Inside the Stats
- Kevin Santa went 2-4 with one double.
- Osborne went 2-4 with one run, one homer, and one RBI.
- L. Rivera went 2-4 with one RBI.
Tampa will return to action on Sunday for a 12 pm game with the Pioneers. Fans can watch through TampaSpartans.tv.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.