TAMPA, Fla. - The No. 1 University of Tampa Spartans battled the No. 3 ranked Nova Southeastern for a doubleheader and came out victorious and completed a sweep of the Sharks.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final (Game One): No. 1 Tampa Spartans 6, No. 3 Nova Sharks 0
Final (Game Two): No. 1 Tampa Spartans 12, No. 3 Nova Sharks 8
Records: Tampa (19-5, 8-1 SSC), Nova (16-10, 5-4 SSC)
Location: NSU Baseball Complex | Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series with a 39-16 record over the Sharks.
How it happened (Game One):
- The Spartans wasted no time as they scored two runs in the top of the first inning when Danny Lee led off by reaching on a fielding error by the Sharks shortstop. Kevin Santa advanced Lee to third base when he singled through the right side on a full count. J.D. Osborne flied out to center field giving the Spartans their first run, 1-0. Laz Rivera singled to left center, sending Santa to third base. Darren Miller was up next and singled to center field bringing Santa across home plate and giving the Spartans a 2-0 lead heading into the bottom of the first.
- The top of the second started out much like the first, Chris Gaffney singled through the right side to get on base. Lee singled to second base and was advanced to third after Santa doubled down the right field line. Osborne came up to bat and increased his homerun count after hitting one to left field and tallying three RBI giving the Spartans a 5-0 lead.
- Neither team would score again until the Spartans did in the top of the ninth inning, making the score 6-0.
How it happened (Game Two):
- Osborne gave the Spartans their first run of the game after he homered to left field.
- Miller started out the top of the second with a single to right center and was advanced to third after Consenzo singled to right field. Andrew DiLacqua singled to third base and scored Miller. Santa singled up the middle and collected two RBI after DiLacqua and Cosenzo scored.
- The bottom of the second brought two runs in for the Sharks as they decreased the Spartans four run lead to two.
- The fourth inning brought four runs for both the Sharks and the Spartans.
- In the top of the sixth, Lee singled to left field which was followed by a single to left field by Santa. Osborne singled up the middle and Lee scored. Miller scored Santa after singling to left field. L. Rivera got on base after reaching on a fielder's choice. DiLacqua doubled down the left field line and scored the third run of the inning for the Spartans, 11-7.
- The Sharks collected a run in the bottom of the eighth.
- The Spartans picked up one more run in the top of the ninth and solidified the score at 12-8.
Inside the Stats (Game One):
- Lee went 3-5 and had two runs.
- Santa went 2-5 with two runs and double.
- Osborne went 1-4 with one run, one homerun and four RBI.
- L. Rivera went 3-5.
Inside the Stats (Game Two):
- Lee went 3-6 with two runs
- Santa went 3-5 with two runs and two RBI
- Osborne went 4-6 with two runs and three RBI
- Cosenzo went 3-5 with one run and three RBI
- DiLacqua went 2-4 with one run and two RBI
Beyond the Box (Game One):
- David Lebron earned the win (4-0) and has now pitched 17.1 consecutive innings without giving up an earned run.
- Osborne has hit a homerun in all nine games against a ranked opponent
- Lebron and Mark Moclair completed a combined shutout against the Sharks.
- Cody Martin tallied his first win of the season.
Tampa will return to action on Tuesday March 21st for a game against Valdosta State at 5 pm. Fans can watch through TampaSpartans.tv.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.