Tyler Ding Named NCBWA South Region Hitter of the WeekFebruary 26, 2014
DALLAS – The National Collegiate Baseball Writer’s Association (NCBWA) released its weekly NCAA Division II National and Regional Player of the Week awards of the season for the week ending on February 23.
The University of Tampa’s Tyler Ding was named the South Region Hitter of the Week. Flagler infielder Andrew Brodbeck is the National Hitter of the Week while St. Mary’s lefty Matt McClain is the National Pitcher of the Week.
Ding, a senior utility player from Tampa, went 10-of-15 (.667) at the plate to help the No. 1 Spartans to a 4-0 week. Also the Sunshine State Conference Player of the Week, Ding went 2-of-4 with a double and a home run against No. 22 Georgia College in a 13-0 win to begin the week. He scored two runs and drove in two more.
In game one against Albany State, Ding went a perfect 5-for-5 at the plate with a double, two runs and four RBIs in a 9-4 win. Ding recorded two runs in every game to finish the week with eight runs sored and six RBIs. He has three doubles and one home run for a 1.067 slugging percentage.
Division II Regional Players of the Week:
- Atlantic: Joey Miller, Concord (Hitter); Chris Murphy, Millersville (Pitcher)
- Central: Phillip Wilson, Central Oklahoma (Hitter); Canyon Conley, Southeastern Oklahoma State (Pitcher)
- East: John Cruz, Dowling (Hitter); Paul Covelle, Franklin Pierce (Pitcher)
- Midwest: Zach Jacobs, Indianapolis (Hitter); Eann Cox, Lewis (Pitcher)
- South: Tyler Ding, Tampa (Hitter); Jamie Sexton, West Georgia (Pitcher)
- South Central: Omar Garcia, St. Mary’s (Hitter); Matt McClain, St. Mary’s (Pitcher)
- Southeast: Andrew Brodbeck, Flagler (Hitter); Garrett Hickman, UNC Pembroke (Pitcher)
- West: David Steininger, Cal State Dominguez Hills (Hitter); Cory Davis, San Francisco State (Pitcher)
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory, newsletter updates and official votes in the Howser Award Player of the Year, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America voting. The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication and writing contests.
2014 NCBWA Division II Players of the Week:
- Feb. 4: Nick Perez, Saint Leo (Hitter); Dallas Ward, Ouachita Baptist (Pitcher)
- Feb. 12: Jordan Edgerton, UNC Pembroke (Hitter); Daniel Barfield, Francis Marion (Pitcher)
- Feb. 19: Hunter Boose, GRU Augusta (Hitter); Jordan DeLorenzo, West Florida (Pitcher)
- Feb. 26: Andrew Brodbeck, Flagler (Hitter); Matt McClain, St. Mary’s (Pitcher)